“Implementation of the UN 2030 Sustainable Development Goals in the Balkan Region: The Role of the Universities” was the title of this year’s annual conference jointly hosted by the Balkan Universities Association (BUA) and the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTh) in April 16-18,2019, in Thessaloniki.
The main topics of the conference were:
- Quality Assurance in Higher Education – International Accreditation
- Sustainable Development
Earth Observation Data – Societal Benefit Areas
- European Projects / European Academic and Research Networks
- The Impact of Universities on Local/Regional Economies
- Modern Approaches on Agriculture and Forestry
- Methods to promote University – Industry Cooperation
Professor Nicolaos Theodossiou, Chair of the SDSN Black Sea, represented the Network and talked about the “Challenges and the Opportunities of the Sustainable Development Solutions Networks”, highlighting the need for regional cooperation on the implementations of the Sustainable Development Goals.
This need was also stressed out by Prof. Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the SDSN, who joint the conference via Skype. Sachs presented ways of implementing the Sustainable Development Goals in the Balkan Region and emphasized the important role the Universities play in the implementation of the SDGs in general.